Monday 11 May 2015

Cicones and the Lotus-Eaters

Telemachus,

The misfortunes that have kept me from you be cursed! I truly believed my return voyage from the war would be brief and that I would soon greet you, would soon enfold you in my arms with a heart-felt embrace. I weep to think that my homecoming has been further delayed. I will relate to you the sorry events that augmented my journey home and have swept me further from my beloved family than I can bear to think about.

We left Troy with a fleet of twelve ships, our chests swelled with pride over our victory, our hearts filled with joy and set for home. I regret it now, but at the time we judged it well advised to plunder the land of the Ciconians, who had allied themselves with the repulsive Trojans. To punish our enemies, we slaughtered their men, and took their women and treasures for our own. Once the Ciconians had been thus punished, I urged the men that we ought to leave, but this is where the misfortunes began, Telemachus.

My soldiers refused to go, too engrossed were they in feasting and enjoying the Ciconians' wine to heed sound counsel. The Ciconians, meanwhile, called on the aid of their neighbours, regrouped and attacked us so unrelentingly that we were forced to cut our losses and put to sea in shameful flight. My army was greatly diminished and the victory-glow that had brightened our eyes when we departed from Troy, that damned city Ilion, faded from our spirits.

After we left the Ciconians, we were driven by a strong wind for nine days - some of my men claimed that the storm was sent by Zeus, but I wonder at the reason why he should beset us in this manner. The storm swept us into waters that I do not believe many eyes of men have seen nor feet of men wandered. Here we came to the island of the Lotus-Eaters, men of little care. They eat the fruit of the strange lotus plants day in and day out, a dreamy look in their eyes, as if they are living in perfect content. They offered us the fruit of the lotus and some of my men, intrigued by their listlessness, accepted the fruit. Those of them who ate the honey-sweet fruit of the lotus became strange. They were unwilling to leave and thought not of their wives and their homes. They desired nought but to remain with the Lotus-Eaters, to feed on the lotus and to forget all else.

Their nonsense was unnerving. We were obliged to take them by force back to the ships, for if we did not they would not have stirred and would have stayed in that land of hazy dream and snaring sleep for all their days.

It may have been better for us all to have been thus enthralled by that unearthly fruit, Telemachus, for our misfortunes only grew worse from that day forth.

I offer you this wisdom: be discerning.

No comments:

Post a Comment