Friday 15 May 2015

From Telemachus, With Love

Father,

I forgive you all our years apart. I blame you not. I have read your adventures and misfortunes and indeed wept along too for your sorrows. Mother has told me so much of you and has not given up hope that you will return to us safely.

Yet even now she is in danger, father. Your household is overrun by vile men who would steal your wealth, your estate and your wife from you! Mother has bought some time - she has said that she must finish her weaving before she can consider remarriage. She weaves a little each day and then undoes her hard work each night. She is as cunning as you, father. But it will not take the wretched suitors much longer to see through her strategy.

Penelope
Mother's Cunning Strategy
(
http://www.betterlivingthroughbeowulf.com/penelope-weaver-and-novelist/)
Where are you now, oh my father? Are you still at the isle of Calypso? Did you not say that you longed to see us again? I long to lay eyes on you, my famous and heroic father of nimble wits. Father, I assure you, your homecoming would bring me immense joy! I would rejoice at your return. I pray you, oh my father, do not delay! Drive these parasitic suitors from your household and save your wife. We can be a family again, even after all these years!

We need you home, Odysseus my father.

I need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment